Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Buttermilk Chess Pie

Here's the last wintery pie for the last day of winter, and oh, nelly, what a winter it was!  Again, from the cookbook "Four and Twenty Blackbirds," a tangy buttermilk pie.  I made the crust gluten-free with my favorite gluten-free flour from Williams-Sonoma--Thomas Keller's Cup 4 Cup, available here:  Williams-Sonoma Cup4Cup.  It's mimics regular all-purpose flour better than anything I've ever tried.

The makings of a good crust.  Gluten-free flour, lard, and as expensive a butter you can find. Mwah!





Parchment paper half-sheets from King Arthur Flour.  I love these to line cookie sheets and to roll out my dough.


If I have extra filling from custard-type pies, I pour the excess into these little ramekins and bake along with the pie.  A little warm custard nirvana minus any crust.



Tangy and yummy with buttermilk and a touch of vinegar for a little more twang. (-;



No comments:

Post a Comment