Friday, March 14, 2014

Grapefruit Pie for National Pi Day

Happy National Pi Day--here's a pie straddling winter and spring just for you...and me!

Grapefruit Pie from the cookbook "Four and 20 Blackbirds"

Eggs and sugar whirled together:


Butter Pie Crust--I went a little wild with the fork tines.  This pic was after it had been in the freezer to thoroughly chill.

 Beautiful red grapefruit.  I cup of freshly squeezed juice was needed.


A very expensive bottle of Campari.


 
 Isn't it pretty?  It looks like a liquid ruby jewel.


Couple of dashes of Angostura orange bitters next.



Sorry for the shadows--I couldn't get a good shot.  I just thought it looked pretty--grapefruit juice, Campari, eggs, egg yolks, and heavy whipping cream swirled together.  Looks like I'm able to marbleize some paper.

Whirled up again.
 
 
Pastry brush--I have the authentic wooden one as well--to brush onto partially, blind-baked pie crust.  It helps seal the crust from the liquid about to go in.



Ohhhh, the goodness. It was so delicious!  Let me tell you who else thought so...

 
I'm sitting in my art room at the computer and my husband comes in to tell me goodnight.  All of a sudden we hear slurping, and we both hold each other's gaze in a brief panic of knowing before seeing.  I had brought the pie into this room to cool on a pie rack set on a low bench.  Well, Kman had let Ebert in, and that beagle nose and tongue went straight to this pie.  BEFORE I had one bite. 
 
I cried out, "I just spent 3 hours on that pie!"  My husband says, "Well, just avoid the hole,"  But there wasn't just a little indentation.  Ebert's tongue had cut a swatch through the top of almost 1/2 of the pie.  What you see above is the ONLY piece I was able to selvage, confident that no dog germs had come near it.  Later, while I was still up at 1 a.m., Eberto wakes up and went straight to my room door.  He did the same thing the next morning.  I guess you could say, this was beagle certifiable as delicious.  The next time around, he is NOT getting one piece!
 
  






No comments:

Post a Comment